My Bookmarked Threads My ScrapBook

Home : 2003 : Jul : 28

    California teacher
    By Sari

    Clip to ScrapBook
    Hi, Amanda. I grew up in California and started my teaching career there. I don't know any websites (other than the Department of Education site, but I don't know the address), but I can tell you that the California State University (CSU) system has good programs for teacher preparation. (I attended the University of California system, which is not geared so much toward teacher preparation.) You probably have heard of the A-G requirements, but if not, make sure you talk to your school guidance counselor to ensure that you take the right classes to meet these requirements. All public universities in California require them, and they also are a good foundation for any private school you might be interested in.

    I can tell you that California requires a "fifth year" for teachers. No matter what your college major is (education or something else), you will need to enroll in a post-graduate teacher education program. Many programs now actually take two years and lead to a master's.

    One thing that will definitely give you a leg up in education is to maximize your technology skills. Learn as much as you can about educational technology, either through coursework or your own research.

    Good luck in your pursuit. We always need good teachers.

Visit our ProTeacher Community

For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
Copyright 1998-2020 ProTeacher
All rights reserved