My Bookmarked Threads My ScrapBook

Home : 2003 : Mar : 22

    writing
    By Susan S.

    Clip to ScrapBook
       
    What I've found is effective is to let the kids write down what happened. If it's important enough, they'll do it. If it's not, then they'll forget about it anyway. Then they put down what is written in a shoebox I created called the "secret box". I'm the only one allowed to read from it. I read what they wrote, then ask the child the next day if it was resolved. 99% of the time, they've already figured it out and apologized. The other 1% of the time I take the girls (normally it's girls!) out in the hall and have them talk it out. I give each side of the story and then ask them if it's worth losing a friend over. It never is and they always hug and make up. I teach 5th grade and that's a common age for tifts among friends (especially when boys are involved!). They are so short-lived that it's easier to get them to write it out so it can be "put aside" until later, so teaching can continue.


Visit our ProTeacher Community

For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
Copyright 1998-2020 ProTeacher
All rights reserved