Home : 2001 : Jun : 5
Having an older grade buddy with younger grades is wonderful. I've had different grades in the past with my first graders, but because our school has changed we only go up to 4th grade now. This year my students had grade 3 buddies.
One of the main activities reading. At the beginning of the year we had a shorter time of reading. The younger children would read first - books we made in class, their readers and then the older kids would read next.
- letter writing - Santa letters at Christmas for example
- writing letters to Penpals together
- doing some computer work together
- catching up missed work
- doing a "more difficult" craft or art project together.
- older buddies can do flash card drills for sight words, addition and subtraction facts.
- worksheets - sometimes when I am starting a new type of workbook I'd have the buddies do one page with the grade ones. This would give my kids a chance to learn how the worksheet should be done with more one-on-one help.
Visit our ProTeacher
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or
Copyright 1998-2017 ProTeacher ®